Vital Oxide has been approved by HEALTH CANADA and the EPA for use against COVID-19. Learn More →

FAQ

Is chlorine dioxide (ClO2) some kind of bleach?

  • No. While chlorine dioxide has chlorine in its name, its chemistry is very different from the corrosive chemistry of chlorine bleach. The primary differences are that chlorine dioxide is less caustic, safer, and gentler than bleach and many other antiseptics and antimicrobials, plus it remains effective under organic load. Further, chlorine bleach produces harmful by-products to the environment, including trihalomethanes (THM) and haloacetic acids (HAAS). Vital Oxide breaks down to a simple salt, producing no harmful by-products.

What does it mean that a disinfectant product is "green"?

  • The United Stated Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is currently reviewing the way third parties will be able to carry "green" claims on all disinfectant labels. EPA policy at this point does not allow "green" claims to be placed directly on any disinfectant product's label. While Vital Oxide is mild on skin, hard surfaces, and fabric, and will certainly qualify for "green status" when the designation is allowed, we cannot advertise this claim until it is permitted by the EPA. Vital Oxide is also a powerful disinfectant able to kill some of the toughest and most resistant forms of bacteria and mold. The chemical composition of Vital Oxide is such that it has a minimal impact on the environment and contains no ozone harming volatile compounds (VOC).

I see that Vital Oxide is used in schools and hospitals, but can I use Vital Oxide at home?

  • Yes. Vital Oxide is an excellent disinfectant to use in homes. Some of the best places to use Vital Oxide at home are in musty basements, in bathrooms where mildew has accumulated (or on surfaces to protect against mold and mildew), and in the kitchen to keep food-contact surfaces clean. Vital Oxide has also been tested on carpets and can be used around the house to sanitize carpets.

What are the advantages of using sprayers and foggers to disperse Vital Oxide?

  • The quickest way to disinfect a hospital room, an entire basement, or a school gym is by using a fogger or electrostatic sprayer that can create a fine mist to treat objects, walls, floors, and ceilings in a matter of just a few minutes. Electrostatic sprayers and foggers can dramatically cut the time to disinfect large areas. Vital Oxide is one of the few disinfectants that can be dispersed in this manner because Vital Oxide is non-corrosive to treated surfaces and objects.

With so many disinfectants and mold removers on the market, why should I choose Vital Oxide?

  • The easiest way to answer this question is simply, not all disinfectants are created equal. When evaluating and comparing disinfectant products, take a close look at their core ingredients. Vital Oxide uses a unique chemical compound called chlorine dioxide. While other competitors and manufacturers have attempted to copy and produce a form of stabilized chlorine dioxide similar to Vital Oxide, our revolutionary formula is simply unequaled. Chlorine dioxide has been used during Anthrax attacks, in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, to purify drinking water, and most recently to kill MRSA in schools and hospitals. Also consider carefully what kind of chemicals you want around your children, employees, patients, students, and close family members. Most disinfectants and mold removers on the market are extremely toxic, but Vital Oxide gives you peace of mind that you are using an effective product that does not come with alarming safety warnings and precautions.

What is the difference between a cleaner and a disinfectant?

  • Cleaners are not registered with the EPA and cannot make public health claims on their label such as killing germs or having any anti-microbial action.

What is a Hospital Disinfectant?

  • As part of the EPA registration process, disinfectant products are put through rigorous testing to prove their efficacy and measure toxicity. The EPA registers three types of disinfectants: Limited, General, and Hospital. All three disinfectants destroy or irreversibly inactivate certain microorganisms on hard, inanimate surfaces and objects.
  • You can determine a “limited,” “general,” or “hospital” disinfectant by the microorganisms listed on the label.
  • Limited must be supported by efficacy testing against either Salmonella cholerasuis or Staphylococcus aureus. Limited disinfectants are found mostly in household use. 
  • General must be supported by efficacy testing against both Salmonella cholerasuis and Staphylococcus aureus. General disinfectants are used in commercial areas.
  • Hospital must be supported by AOAC Use Dilution or AOAC Germicidal Spray efficacy testing against
  • Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella cholerasuis and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. The bacteria Pseudomonas aeruginosa hides behind biofilm and is difficult to eliminate. Killing this bacterium is required for “Hospital Disinfectant”.
  • Also, as part of this evaluation process, products are assigned to a toxicity category:  The categories range from category 1 (highly toxic) to category 4 (no exposure warnings required on the label). Vital
  • Oxide received an EPA category 4 rating for all exposure routes with the exception of mild eye irritation.

What is a Sanitizer?

  • A substance, or mixture of substances, intended to reduce the number of microorganisms on inanimate surfaces or in water or air .

What is the difference between a ‘food-contact sanitizer’ and a ‘nonfood-contact sanitizer?

  • A food-contact sanitizer, at a minimum, reduces the level of Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli by 99.999% on a food contact surface within one minute. A potable water rinse is not allowed after sanitation of a food-contact surface.
  • A non-food-contact sanitizer, at a minimum, reduces the level of Staphylococcus aureus and Klebsiella pneumoniae or Enterobacter aerogenes by 99.9% on non-food contact surfaces within 5 minutes.

What does “no rinse required on food contact surface” mean?

  • “No rinse required on food contact surfaces” is a safety rating given by NSF International (previously the National Sanitation Foundation).  The NSF testing guidelines are a continuation of the USDA product approval and listing program, including the FDA 21.  Vital Oxide is rated “no rise required on food contact surfaces” category D2, meaning Vital Oxide is approved for use in commercial or residential kitchens to control bacteria, viruses, and mold without the need to wash/rinse the area with water after Vital Oxide is applied.

Can I clean and disinfect at the same time?

  • In some cases, you can clean and disinfect at the same time, but this depends on how dirty the surfaces you are cleaning/disinfecting are—the dirtier the surface the less effective the disinfectant. Disinfectants need to contact the area to disinfect and cannot do this effectively with a barrier of dirt or grime in the way. Once the dirt has been wiped away the disinfectant can get to work. Under lightly soiled conditions, you can clean and disinfect in the same step with just Vital Oxide. (NOTE: EPA requires all disinfectants carry the following label direction: “For heavily soiled areas, a pre-cleaning step is required.”)

Does Vital Oxide contain VOCs?

  • No. Vital Oxide does not contain volatile organic compounds.

 

← Back to Vital Oxide

Testimonials

  • As operators of a childcare centre and private school, concerns for the well being of all our students and staff became even more important with the COVID 19 outbreak.

    We contacted Terry when researching options for disinfecting and sanitizing our schools. Terry was extremely knowledgeable and informative. In cross referencing his products with others on the market, his machines and cleaning solution stood out as being the best!

    The foggers will assist us in continuing to provide a safe, clean environment to all our students on a daily basis.

    Barrie Montessori & Elementary Private School

  • We are so pleased with not only the amazing customer service from Terry and Lana, but are amazed at the use and strength of this product. I am the owner of 4 Childrens Therapy Treatment Clinics in Barrie and this product has not only safe guarded the children that attend our center, but has also allowed me to safely operate my clinics in a way that I may not have, otherwise been able to.

    The use of this product is so safe for our staff and children that attend our clinics, its quick and its effective.

    I am forever thankful that I was able to find a product like Vital Oxide in order to keep my location safe and healthy, this will be the new norm in our buildings and I could not be happier to be using such a wonderful, safe and effective product. Thank you Lana and Terry!

    Amanda Baysarowich DSW, ADTP, ABS Founder and Director, IBI Behavioural Services

  • I couldn’t be happier with my recent purchase through Safe Disinfecting Solutions Inc. The customer service was fantastic! Terry and Lana were responsive and knowledgeable, and a pleasure to work with. When I picked up my order, they took the time to ensure that I understood how to properly use the product and fogger with hands-on training and documents provided for me to take away. I own a child care centre and have purchased a fogger and Vital Oxide to provide an extra layer of protection for the children in our program. It’s safe, it’s healthy, it’s easy to use – what’s not to love! The health and well being of the children and staff at my school will always come first, and I am so happy to have found a product like Vital Oxide to be able to do just that. I look forward to working with Safe Disinfecting Solutions Inc. for many years to come and highly recommend!

    Michelle Jollymore RECE Owner of My Pre Academy